От Romix Ответить на сообщение
К Romix
Дата 03.05.2008 12:01:50 Найти в дереве
Рубрики Россия-СССР; Хозяйство; Ссылки; Тексты; Версия для печати

Between 1948 and 1950, she developed a theory by which these mobile elements

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_McClintock

In 1950, she reported her work on Ac/Ds and her ideas about gene regulation in a paper entitled "The origin and behavior of mutable loci in maize" published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. In summer 1951, when she reported on her work on gene mutability in maize at the annual symposium at Cold Spring Harbor, the paper she presented was called "Chromosome organization and genic expression".[21]
Based on the reactions of other scientists to her work, McClintock felt she risked alienating the scientific mainstream, and from 1953 stopped publishing accounts of her research on controlling elements.[24]

Перевод:

Основываясь на реакции других ученых к своей работе, Мак-Клинток почувствовала, что она рискует оттолкнуть научный мейнстрим, и с 1953 остановила публикацию отчетов по исследованиям, относящимся к контролирующим элементам.

Comfort, Nathaniel, C.(1999) "The real point is control": The reception of Barbara McClintock's controlling elements. Journal of the History of Biology 32:133–6

In reference to her decision 20 years earlier no longer to publish detailed accounts of her work on controlling elements, she wrote in 1973:

Перевод:
Ссылаясь на свое решение 20 лет назад уже не публиковать подробные сообщения о своей работе по контролирующим элементам, она написала в 1973 году:

Over the years I have found that it is difficult if not impossible to bring to consciousness of another person the nature of his tacit assumptions when, by some special experiences, I have been made aware of them. This became painfully evident to me in my attempts during the 1950s to convince geneticists that the action of genes had to be and was controlled. It is now equally painful to recognize the fixity of assumptions that many persons hold on the nature of controlling elements in maize and the manners of their operation. One must await the right time for conceptual change.[25]

Перевод (частичный; остальное затрудняюсь точно перевести, хотя смысл понятен):

"... Это стало болезненно очевидным для меня в моих попытках в течение 1950-х убедить генетиков, что проявления генов должны были контролироваться. ... Надо дождаться подходящее время для концептуальных изменений".

McClintock, Barbara. Letter from Barbara McClintock to J. R. S. Fincham (1973)
http://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/LL/B/B/G/C/_/llbbgc.pdf